Domain names are one of the key building blocks of the internet - the essential component for every email address and website. Millions of businesses and consumers now depend on Nominet’s services, which underpin a critical part of the internet economy.
As the internet registry services provider for all .uk domain names, we operate the national infrastructure that helps facilitate the UK internet economy. This means we run the technology which locates a computer on the internet hosting the web site or email system you're looking for when you type in a web address or send an email to an address that ends in .uk.
Safe, secure and reliable, we keep the infrastructure fully functioning and work to protect it from threats, ranging from fraud, to cyber attacks. We also continuously invest in development and improvement to ensure our services work well and are as innovative as they are trustworthy. Most recently this has involved expanding our reach to include .wales and .cymru which we will be operating alongside our .uk portfolio from 2013, as well as offering internet registry services to other generic top level domains (gTLDs) and back-end support (including emergency support) for other domain registries.
Operating with a clear mission and vision, we are a private not-for-profit, public purpose company with a strong agenda: our work helps shape the global internet and we have an active voice in several international internet organisations.
We have over 2,800 members and are committed to acting in the public interest.
We employ 130 staff at our Oxford base and have a current annual turnover of £25m+. In addition our work impacts on:
A public purpose agenda
- We create an environment where the internet economy can be a force for good
- We invest in social programmes that use the internet to make a positive impact on society through the Nominet Trust
- We provide advice on how to get the most out of the internet and stay safe online through knowthenet
Global and national internet policy
- We play an active role in internet governance through our work and partnerships with organisations including the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the Internet Governance Forum (IGF and also UK-IGF) and the Council for European National Top Level Domain Registries (CENTR) among others
High quality registry services
- We provide award winning Dispute Resolution Service that uses mediation where possible to handle domain name disputes
- We deliver high-quality operational support for domain name holders (registrants) and businesses or individuals (registrars) that process domain name applications including our domain name look up service, WHOIS, and other online tools
Back-end registry services
- We run back-end registry infrastructure to support other registry businesses
Advanced domain security
- Our advanced technical resources and expertise help us provide robust safeguards to protect the domains registered with us, through services such as DNSSEC and significant ongoing investment in our internet insfrastructure
- Nominet Trust supports internet based projects that contribute to a safe, accessible online world, which offers opportunities to improve lives and communities, investing in projects that:
- improve access to the internet
- increase online safety
- use the internet for social impact
A wide range of organisations have already benefited, including: Age UK, ChildNet, the Alzheimer’s Society, RNIB, Internet Watch Foundation and the Oxford Internet Institute, as well as dozens of social enterprises. To find out more about our work or how you can apply for funding, please visit: www.nominettrust.org.uk