In November 2013 Nominet announced its decision to introduce second-level domain registration as part of a broader programme of work aimed at driving innovation, enhancing security and improving standards in the .uk namespace. Registration at the second level will be available from the 10 June 2014.
- Read the relevant press release
Our decision-making process
Following extensive consultation and analysis, Nominet’s Board of Directors decided to introduce second level domain registrations at meetings held on 29th October and 12th November 2013.
- Read the relevant Board Communiqué
- Read a paper setting out Nominet’s decision on how it will proceed
- Read a Report by London Economics on the proposals put forward for consultation
From 1 July 2013 to 23 September 2013 we held a second consultation seeking stakeholder feedback on a revised set of proposals that would underpin the potential release of second level domains:
- Second level domain registration in .uk: Nominet Consultation Document 1 July 2013
- Second level domain registration in .uk: Nominet Background Document, 1 July 2013
Feedback was published in November 2013:
- Summary of Feedback by Nominet .uk Policy Process Secretariat
- Summary of Feedback by Nomensa
- Individual consultation responses (where permission to publish has been granted)
- Email exchange between Nominet and Department for Culture, Media and Sport
From 1 October 2012 to 7 January 2013 we held a consultation seeking stakeholder feedback on a set of proposals that would underpin the potential release of second level domains. A summary of the feedback was published in February 2013: Direct.uk Consultation Summary of Feedback, Nominet .uk Policy Process Secretariat, 26 February 2013.